schooling the world:the white man's last burden

You have an institution that is in place globally that is branding millions and millions of innocent people as failures.
- Manish Jain ( see "Rethinking Education and Development" on the sidebar.)

These people aren't failed attempts at being us, they are unique answers to the fundamental question: what does it mean to be human and alive.
- Wade Davis (see TED talk with him on the sidebar)


Yesterday "Schooling the World" came in the post.
I'd been waiting for it for a while; you may have noticed the link on my partly constructed sidebar.
If you are at all interested in the moral implications of the Western education system in general and in particular the social justice of sending it into indigenous societies, then this is a film for you.
This film astutely deconstructs our Western world view and our Western education system.
At least take a look at the trailer. It's worth it.
It's the kind of film I have been waiting for.
May blessings rain down on those who were involved in making it.




2 comments:

  1. That gave me chills- the bad kind...I con't wait to see the whole movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly, I do hope you get to see it. Horrific but also wonderfully affirming of indigenous ways of being and knowing. I hope you have also got to see "The Economics of Happiness" which is also set in Ladahk and critiques globalisation and shows the way forward with localisation. It's just yours and James' type of film I'm guessing. Happy viewing.

    ReplyDelete