keeping it wild

Science in the kitchen; yogurt, apple cider vinegar and feeding the sourdough starter.
We are just now starting to get really excited by wild fermentation. Our favourite up until now has been sauerkraut (a sure winner for a german partner) and we are starting on a new batch tomorrow using the cabbages I saved from my abandoned garden over the weeknd.
I like the experimental nature of brewing, fermenting and feeding bugs in the kitchen.
It is all a bit check it, smell it and see what you think.
It encourages bravery and courage.
It nurtures an attitude of wonder; I'd say the perfect starting point of any scientist.
And on the uglier side of things....if you live in Aotearoa and want to be enraged, check out the NZ Food Bill 160-2; read about it here, here and here.
To tell you the truth, when I was first told about it I just wouldn't believe it, and I believe lots.
It will affect all people who share seeds and who sell their own produce from the roadside or at our beloved Farmers' Markets. Unite with the world's poor who are also fighting similar laws in their own country, sign the petition, write to your MP and generally make a racket.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the alert to the petition against this proposed legislation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacinta, lovely to catch up again on your blog, and theres plenty of stuff there to get stuck into! I've been away from the computer for a while, moving too, battling winter ills and slowing down with another growing soul inside me, keep writing, theres so much to say... kia kaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacinda, My mom has a recipe for kraut on her blog. You might want to check it out.

    http://realfoodmatters.ca/node/12

    ReplyDelete