taking time to remember.

We took time today to celebrate the life of Wangari Maathai.
After hearing about her death from a friend's comment on my last post (thanks N) it's what naturally unfolded for us today.
I continue to enjoy and appreciate how celebration and rememberance springs forth from what is current in our lives or what catches our interest.
When so often it seems like time is the most scarce resource in people's lives right now, it is such a privilege to have the time to follow what appears ahead of us.

We celebrated in some of the ways we know how: we talked and read and sang and skipped and drew and watched some footage.
We lit a candle.
We might have planted a tree but we didn't. We happened to have planted a mandarin the day she died. That was the tree for her.
As I have said here before, I love my girls being immersed in stories of women with such power and clarity so you can imagine my response when Ruby declared we would save to buy Taking Root: The Vision of Wangari Maathai.
She figures if she can't meet this woman then she wants to at least watch a movie about her.
Surprisingly I have no qualms with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment