small chunks of time

If we let ourselves, we shall always be waiting for some distraction or other to end before we can really get down to our work. The only people who achieve much are those who want something so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavourable. Favourable conditions never come.
- C.S. Lewis
I am slowly learning (and relearning) the benefits of grabbing small chunks of time.
This may seem obvious to many.
For me however, it has always seemed easier to do it big and less often. Food shopping (other than fresh fruit and veg), sewing, cleaning the house, yoga, making muesli, focusing on a project at home.
On reflection I realise I have always grabbed small moments for gardening - checking and pulling and transplanting and sowing in short bursts. Through those small moments I have grown great gardens and fed my family, but I mostly didn't translate that to other things.
But after a fair few months now with little of my own creative work being done, even less morning yoga happening and my muesli jar standing empty for a week, I'm discovering the liberation of small chunks of activity.
Twenty minutes and I will do the next step in my sewing project.
Fifteen minutes in the morning will give me 5 salutes to the sun at least and sets the rhythm I have been yearning for.
Half an hour before we go out will give me just enough time to help focus attention on that one problem she has been having on the design of her fairyhouse. The conversation keeps the flame burning and takes us one small step closer.
And I rediscover that I don't in fact need to wait for bigger chunks of time.
And instead of thinking I need to make the muesli for the next three weeks, I make just enough for the week while I prepare breakfast, in a pan (not the oven) and that way, always have enough for the hungry mouths in the morning.

(The felted handle cover has been one of those projects done in 20 minutes and saves burning my hand or the tea towel each time I pick up our cast iron pan. The idea came from here but I already had the felt from a jersey one of the girls had as a toddler. Functional and cute - just how I like it. Thanks Heather.)


No comments:

Post a Comment